2011, the year extremists attacked Europe.
Europe Security News.- Belgium grenade attack.
Liege.- A former criminal related to illegal drugs started today to kill people in Liege, while he casted three grenades and shooted to death 5 people, one of them a baby. The criminal shooted himself, after the attack, according to police. Interior Ministry official Peter Mertens said Tuesday that there was only one assailant, and that person had died in the attack. The Belgian Newspaper Le Soir has identified the attacker as 32-year-old Nordine Amrani. Amrani had previously served jail time for charges related to guns, drugs and sexual abuse. While it is not known what prompted the attack, authorities have ruled out terrorism as being a possible motive.
Officials said Amrani left his home armed with hand grenades, a revolver and an FAL assault rifle. He then walked unaccompanied to the central square, where he proceeded to throw three hand grenades toward a bus shelter before opening fire on the crowd, the Associated Press (AP) reports. Amrani had been called in by the police for questioning on Tuesday, though it is not yet clear why. READ MORE HERE
Europe Security News.- Police secure the area at the Place Saint-Lambert in Liege after gunmen opened fire on the square on December 13, 2011 Photo Credit AFP Photo MICHEL KRAKOWSKI
Liege and shooting precedents.- Liege shooting and grenade attack: previous European incidents in last 10 years
The shootings in the eastern Belgian city of Liege and Florence, Italy, on Tuesday have several precedents over the past 10 years in Europe. READ MORE HERE
Europe Security News.- Grenades and firearms were used today by killer in Liege, Belgium.
Italy.- An Italian man with extreme right-wing views opened fire in an outdoor market in Florence Tuesday, killing two vendors from Senegal, then critically wounded three other Senegalese immigrants in another Florence market before killing himself, authorities said.
Florence prosecutor Giuseppe Quattrocchi said the man shot himself in the head in an underground parking lot under the covered market of San Lorenzo, in the heart of the Tuscan capital, as police were approaching him.
Investigators identified the attacker as 50-year-old Gianluca Casseri. RAI state TV said he was known to police for having participated in racist marches by an extreme right-wing group. It said he used a .357 Magnum revolver.
Italy’s president, Giorgio Napolitano, READ MORE HERE